Friday, June 08, 2012

The desert wild and creatures therein

I was going to title this post, "the desert wild and creations therein", only my mom (and maybe some of you?) would argue that most of these critters came after "the Fall".  ;-] You discern...

We'll begin with what is probably the most tame (though to some, most terrifying) of the list:
A garden snake. Dead and therefore perfect for a photo shoot ;-] We've found quite a few of these, as well as some red racers and rattle snakes.

Next we have what we were told is probably a desert crab spider.

I actually think he/she looks kind of nice.

A pest-exterminator friend told us this was a solpugid. Strange looking.


Below in one of two centipede's we've found inside the house. The dollar bill is meant to show the length.

I tried to convince mom they were harmless after she asked if they were poisonous (the answer was yes) by saying, "But only one person has ever died from a bite." Ooops. Wrong words. "But that was a small child so they were extra vulnerable." Made things worse. At that point, I stuck my perverbial foot in my mouth and walked away. (I hope you all don't start worrying about centipedes now, the incident happened on some island where they probably grew to be a lot bigger than the American version...)

Don't know what this is, haven't even looked it up, just liked the yellow color.
And last but certainly not least on the danger factor is...

A scorpion. In the bedroom. But he was almost dead and looked very lonely, so I'm sure we won't be seeing any more.

(His belly had white spots...neat)


Thus concludes today's post. Now are you glad that YOU don't live in the desert (or maybe you do)? SquiRe, Momo and I are the only ones who think finding all these creatures is interesting!
Next time we post about animals (should be not too far away) they'll be much more lovable. Don't worry.

Sam

5 comments:

Eve Victorie said...

Thanks for the 'safari'! Looking at the photos was all quite interesting, but (excuse me for saying this) I would TOTALLY FREAK if I found the scorpion in my bedroom. Probably not sleep for a week. Faint. True story. :P

eve @ essence of eve

Rachel said...

Ewww....that gives me shivers just looking at them!! Good pictures, though. :-) We have only had one of those huge centipedes on our porch once. Very gross. And you're right, the death rate from bites is nearly non-existant. We have a friend who woke up one night to a centipede IN HIS BED chewing on his leg. Left a nice hole, and he survived. :-) I'd probably go insane if that happened to me....

Sam said...

Thanks for commenting!
The scorpions and centipedes are probably the worst...the centipede count is up to 4 btw...poor mom =].
Sam

Sarah said...

Ohmigoodness. I'll tell you I can't wait for the more lovable animals! Can't stand the creepy crawlies...
Very good pictures, yes, very good. A little too close for comfort.
Love,
Elisera

Susanna said...

I totally agree on the white spots!
If it weren't a scorpion, I might have said it was cute. :)
Love your blog.