Thursday, July 12, 2012

Yummy! Lovey! Wild!

Last night I made 3 dozen yummy truffles and right now there are none left. I have to share them with you all.

The recipe is very simple and not too time consuming. I'm not a fan of chocolate or peanut butter but I liked them. Not one person didn't like them. Even if you don't like being in the kitchen, you should still try these. Baking pays.

And I mean that quite literally. I made each of my family members give me a kiss and/or hug before partaking in these creamy, crunchy balls of goodness. They all gladly paid, except Sam who point-blank refused and ate six or seven without the required payment. From Sam I usually get a hug about every 1 to 2 months.

Here is what you will need for these bits of delightfullness:
1 (scant) cup of powdered sugar
1 (heaping) cup of peanut butter
1 cup of rice crispy cereal
1/2 cup of chocolate OR 2 chocolate bars
My family likes dark chocolate, and because the filling is so sweet, dark chocolate isn't too dark for those who aren't fans. You could use milk chocolate or melting chocolate. Whatever you like. That's the rule.
(When I made these I added some cream cheese in with the peanut butter because it made the filling creamier and slightly less sweet.)

You can make your own homemade, HEALTHY(ish) powdered sugar if you want. Simply measure one cup of sugar (I used some Organic Evaporated Cane Sugar and some Raw Coconut Crystals) and dump it into your vita-mix, blender or food processor. Turn it on. Wait until it has changed to a powder-like texture and BADDA-BING BADDA-BOOM!

Start by mixing cream cheese (if using) and peanut butter. Add the rice krispies (you can crush them first. You know the rule, however you so desire) and the powdered sugar and mix well.

Roll into balls (truffle size) and place on cookie sheet, foil, or parchment paper. Set aside (in freezer or refrigerator if you want them cold while you dip them).
Now melt your chocolate in a double boiler. Carefully dip each truffle and roll it in chocolate. When it is completely covered, place it on a cookie sheet. When they're all covered, just stick them in the freezer until the chocolate has hardened, about 2 minutes.

I keep them piled up in a bowl in the fridge until a little while before I'm going to serve them, and then I just let them sit out for a few minutes before eating. But they were really good cold too. Many of the people in my family stick candy bars in the refrigerator and eat them cold. Once again, however you like them, ma chéri. I hope you and your family like them as much as my family did.


Did you know that tarantulas can crawl upside down? Yes, they can. I didn't know that either.


I stepped outside, looked up, and a tarantula was crawling above my head. I was scared it would fall on me the next time I came through the door and I would startle and it would not be enjoyable for me. (Though it might be enjoyable for any onlooking siblings.) To get it down I bumped it with a broom and it still hung on, upside down, completely unphased. I'm quite impressed with tarantula skills. We have been having fun spotting tarantulas. I think SquiRe is in the lead, claiming to have seen 6 or 7. None of us has the guts to pick one up and hold it, but that's probably best because if we did we'd probably freak out and drop it. And the tarantula might get hurt.

I tried, I really tried, to upload a video of Jack playing "Feelings" with me. He is so cute signing "grumpy", "surprised", "scared", "excited", and "lovey". Well, he is cute regardless of what he is signing, isn't he? But after 3 tries I realized it wouldn't work. So use your imaginations if you will. Maybe you'll see it some other time. =)




Have you been spotting any wildlife around your parts? What's the wildest, yummiest, or lovey-est thing you've seen this week?


Have a lovely, yummy, wild week!
~Momo

No comments: