Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Homeschool convention


This past weekend, my family and I attended an annual Homeschool Convention and Curriculum Fair. We have attended this conference twice before and greatly enjoyed the speakers, curriculum vendors, and chance to get away and enjoy each other's company. {And, of course, the opportunity to stay at a hotel always puts us in a good mood. ;)}

One of the speakers was Voddie Bauchum, and we appreciated his sessions in particular. {http://www.voddiebaucham.org/vbm/home.html} He spoke on the subjects of discipling your children, family worship, evangelism, etc. My sisters and I also attended a few of the "Teen Track" sessions which were on becoming world changers; learning styles; avoiding lies from culture, Satan and the flesh; and Christian heroes in history. In the Vendor Hall, I purchased a few books as well as "Pendragon: Sword of His Father," a movie produced by Burns Family Studios. {http://burnsfamilystudios.com/movies/pendragon/} We watched it on the evening we returned home and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We all greatly enjoyed the conference itself, the chance to be encouraged and learn and talk with other homeschoolers, but I think that spending time together while on the drive, eating out and in the hotel was the biggest pro of the trip. We always spend time together but we do not usually have the luxury of just "hanging out" with the work, school and distractions of home. My dad described our trip as "an extra-long weekend."

All in all, I really liked the trip, from the raspberry lemonade I smuggled in to the Vendor Hall {*looks sheepish*} to chatting with an old friend to staying up late with my sisters in our hotel room!


Hoping to post again soon,
Risa

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Sounds like your family had a wonderfully blessed time! At the convention we went to, I smuggled some granola bars in myself. *copies Risa's sheepish grin*

It's great to be reading your writing again, Risa! And just so you all know, it was agonizing trying to decide what to vote for on your poll! If I could, I'd write in a vote for "EVERYTHING"! :D

Love you girls!
Michelle

Joshua1:9 said...

*lol* I like granola bars too!

Thanks for voting on our poll, Michelle.

Risa

Lady L said...

Sounds like you guys had a lot of fun!!!! I like Voddie Baucham too. He was easy to follow and kept my attention *sheepish grin* which means a lot coming from me!!!!!!

Growing in my Father's love,

~Lady L~

Le said...

I always enjoy our Homeschool Convention! And I also like rasberry lemonade! Yum!
Our family loves Pendragon! We have some parts of it memorized!!

Le

Anonymous said...

My family loves the pendragon too!
The original Momo :P
(riah)

Joshua1:9 said...

Who was born first...?
Your friend,
Momo